making up stories about the arts

dance. theater. film. music. visual arts. journalism. workshops. family. health.

CHECK OUT MY OTHER SITE: ednavida@multiply.com

Saturday, February 19, 2011

My Daily Bread Book 1 Chapter 37

Book One: The Way of Purification
AFTER CONVERSION
CHAPTER 37 Invitation to Holy Communion

CHRIST: MY CHILD, often ponder My words "Come, all you that labor and are burdened, and I will refresh you." These are My words, and you ought to receive them gratefully and faithfully. They are Mine because I spoke them; but they are also yours, because they were spoken for your salvation. Receive them joyfully from My lips. Let them be deeply carved upon your heart. In these holy words, you see My loyal and tender consideration for you. Do not let your conscience stop you from rushing into My arms. I know how unworthy you are of My friendship, but I love you in spite of that.

2. In spite of your nothingness and your sins, I command you to approach Me with confidence. It is actually My Will that you should receive Me, the Food of Immortality. Through this heavenly Food, which is truly My own Body and Blood, you shall gain unending life and eternal glory. I say, "Come, all you that labor and are burdened, and I will refresh you! " These are consoling words in the ear of a sinner. I, your Lord and God, invite poor and needy you to receive My holy Body. Do not say, "Who am I, that I should presume to approach You?" I command you to come and receive Me, for without Me you are lost.

3. Prepare your soul with confession, if necessary, and with prayers. Then approach My altar with confidence and with a burning desire to please Me in your daily life.

THINK: God is so powerful, so great, so perfect, that we are as nothing compared to Him. The angels and saints in Heaven see God face to face and realize how very, very small they are in His presence. As a result they feel a deep indescribable respect for Him. Yet God, in His goodness, loves His creatures beyond all telling. He did many things to convince us of His love. He even sent His beloved Son to show His love in a human way. After living and dying for love of us, Jesus invented a way to remain with us in the Holy Eucharist. In this wonderful Sacrament He makes Himself the Food of our souls. Lest anyone refuse to receive Him in Holy Communion, He commanded that we should do so. It is His express wish that I receive Him in Holy Communion.

PRAY: Lord, why are You so gracious to me and so concerned about me? You know how full of defects I am. I offend You so often by my faults and my negligence. How dare I welcome You into my heart? I have often been selfish with You in spite of all Your generosity to Me. The angels and archangels stand in deep respect before You. The Saints and the just have a holy fear of You. Yet, You say, "Come to Me." Were it not You that say this, Lord, who could believe it, and who would dare approach this holy table? At Your loving command I will come. I will think of Your Will and forget my unworthiness, and I shall eat the Bread of Angels. Amen.

No comments: