making up stories about the arts

dance. theater. film. music. visual arts. journalism. workshops. family. health.

CHECK OUT MY OTHER SITE: ednavida@multiply.com

Friday, August 17, 2007

Mica's Myx History, Part II

Of Mall Tours and all that Attention

by Mica Froilan

I think that, since the beginning of all this, the moment that made me realize how unprepared I am for all this attention was when we did the first mall tour last Sunday. It was a Penshoppe event where all the Myx finalists sort of tagged along with BIG BIG bands like Chicosci, Stone free and the ultimate BAMBOO. You know that feeling when you want the hosts to just stop yapping and get on with the band? Well, I guess when you get 11 raw and inexperienced finalists co-hosting a big show like that it will be inevitable for the audience to start chanting GET OFF THE STAGE, GET ON WITH THE SHOW!

But I'm being to hard on ourselves. The audience was receptive and even kind - considering that we were pretty much nobodys. And I'd like to think, at some point we pulled it off quite nicely.

The "attention" part was when the show ended and shockingly (for me at least) the crowd gathered a bit to take pictures and autographs with the finalists. THAT - was something I wasn't prepared for. That, was something I thought was only reserved for the big big celebrities. Though you could sense that some of the people were hesitant, thinking, er... should I take a picture with this finalist? Is it worth it? (that happened mostly to me - modesty aside)

My friends who were there instantly knew my insecurity was making me a complete awkward and anti-social dork. After the whole thing, they disappointingly advised me to think of it as "campaigning" and to basically work on acquiring a thick face. I promised them I would on the next mall tour.

So today was that next mall tour. Lo and behold, I became the same awkward, anti-social dork. See, the funny thing is, I'd never think I'd be one to freeze in front of people. I know for a fact that I can have a thick face. But I guess I'm learning that I become annoyingly shy at the wrong time.

Anyway, this really leads to the realization that the whole idea of being a Myx finalist has not entirely sunk in yet and yes, that I have about a thousand and one things to learn about this industry.

It's fun.

"If I were Myx," I told Mica, "I'd choose you. Because you're so 'moldable'. You have nothing to unlearn. You're a fresh canvas on which they can draw anything. So keep learning and roast just right. Don't worry."

She's always been a good study. Mica puts her mind on something and she transforms. I promptly recorded her Myx specials and gasped. My, my, she sure is shy. Whoa mother. Shut up. Let her cook long, don't stress the rawness. Be humble (ump! I was the Firebird and my daughter is being passed by the camera) or she will LOSE. So ominous, that restraint was. She won. The Phoenix has risen.

No comments: