making up stories about the arts

dance. theater. film. music. visual arts. journalism. workshops. family. health.

CHECK OUT MY OTHER SITE: ednavida@multiply.com

Friday, August 17, 2007

Mica's Myx History

Main | Of Mall Tours and all that Attention »

Pre-Celebrity Shindig

It's been only a week and so into this celebrity-induced life and I find myself panting with exhaustion - physically and mentally. I always thought the artistas had a relatively easy life. Sure they work late hours and get into all sorts of intrigue but the pay and freebies always compensate. But no.

So I went out on a limb and auditioned for this vj search. I figured that because at 24, I have not been discovered yet despite my efforts (i.e hanging out at friends homes, sleeping, working and living a normal ordinary life), it's high time to start auditioning for something.

It was almost like destiny when my good friend Fritz told me about the auditions. Told me to come with him and have our pictures taken professionally (because I insisted on submitting my neo-prints) and audition (for 8 hours!!!!!!!!!!). Though I thought I sucked BIG TIME, somehow I miraculously managed to do something right because lo and behold I'm one of the 12 vj finalists (truly.shocking ).

So it's been a week since that memorable audition. And what a week it has been. This whole new world seems to magnify all my flaws: my lack of nice clothes (ayan kasi, tamad mag shopping), my lack of anything interesting to say (unless it's about the corporate life - I can totally give you a power point presentation of the data I input in Excel regrading stats, metrics and net profit) and my steady, sedate personality - which in this industry is a BIG BIG NO-NO. I mean, I had illusions that I was perky. But after being with the other finalists / energizer bunnies, I realized how I am such a drawl.

Add the fact that I work graveyard shifts and go straight to the shoots. I mean where in the world am I going to get the extra energy??!!! Speaking of work, it so happens that the big boss from the US is in town. So not only do I have to be energized during the "celebrity" part of my life, I need to be in top performance when I get to work at night. It ain't funny. One time I dozed off right in the middle of MY presentation.

Anyway, so I saw myself for the first time on national television last saturday. EEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW. Yun lang.

But hey if there is one thing that excites me about this - it is the work itself. The fact that I get to be this close to music, than I have ever been before thrills me to no end. Sure the music I love might not always be showcased (modest mouse, nyko maca, red hot chili peppers, the strokes) but the fact that I get this window of opportunity to maybe play one video from them is enough for me to go through this gruelling task (naks!! music lover daw!!).

So that's the story. I am so thrilled to be able to go through this - though at this point I still have to carry my own things and take the MRT after every shoot (in full make up. Panalo!). At the very least I have one more interesting thing to tell people aside from corporate trivial issues.

The road to my Oscar award has begun.

** So ok, I'm one of the finalists for the MYX VJ Search 2007. Vote for me if you think you can stand the sight of my face long after the finals on August 4. =)

The Mother's Take

I wrote an article for Star when Mica graduated from La Salle titled, 'Sunrise, Sunset'. There I candidly wrote her apology to me and my husband. "I'm sorry I'm ordinary."

From the time I took her home as an infant I knew she would one day be extraordinary, a perfectly imperfect Someone. She will rise like a phoenix from the humdrum childhood I strained to impose on her and her brother. That statement of hers told me I succeeded. Mic, I'm so happy you're ordinary, I thought to myself, because once the limelight discovers you ... oh boy.

I basked in her obligatory mundane youth. Barbie dolls, D's in Math, funny love letters from awkward teenage boys. In college I expected the torrential makeover and was disappointed she only won the highest votes to become Batch President of the student council. That's it? Again, she thought she was the most ordinary leader. How deep did I drill that word in her psyche? susmaryosep.

In the corporate world she often confessed ineptitude but her self-assessment startled me. How very mature it was. Ordinary again? until we had her three American superiors over for dinner. The first thing they whispered to me was, "You know, your daughter is quite extraordinary." The whispering part confirmed their sincerity.

I don't have to write about how she felt about being a Myx finalist. You can see how she's able to laugh at herself. Pat, pat pat. Good mothering, Edna. I'm proud of her. More reaction on Mica on her next blog entry.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The information here is great. I will invite my friends here.

Thanks